As church leaders we must always remember that how we communicate has consequences, either for good or for bad.
The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Prov. 12:18)
Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin. (Prov. 13:3)
The tongue has the power of life and death (Prov. 18:21)
Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. (Prov. 21:23)
But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. (Matt. 12:36-37)
The Power to Tame the Tongue
As we’re reminded in James 3, and our experience can attest to, we’re capable of taming all sorts of animals, yet can’t tame our own tongue. Though we might like to think we’re the exception, God says “no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.” (James 3:8).
… what’s impossible for people is possible with God (Matt. 19:26).
… we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Phil. 4:13).
And so, we need to look to the Lord. — “Set a guard over my mouth, LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.” (Ps. 141:3)
In addition to the content on this page the Steering the Church Toward God’s Power Leadership Guide considers more about the power of the tongue as described in James 3 and other Scripture, building the case for why we desperately need to pull on God’s power in our communication. This resource also looks at 24 other leadership tasks and responsibilities in light of the need for His power.
Also Check Out This Resource: Christ-like Communication Guide for Church Leaders
All Posts about Communication:
- Communication with God Essential to Your Purpose
- Communication in Step with Your Purpose
- Communication Imperative to Body Life
- Communication Guided by Body Life Commands
- Communication Governed by the Great Commission
- Authority in Communication
- Focus of Communication
- Confidence in Communication
- Christ-like Communication Imperative
- What We Communicate: Both Grace and Truth
- How We Communicate: Both Graciously and Truthfully
- Who Can Tame the Tongue?
- Empowered Communication Because of the Gospel
- Empowered Communication as a Result of Spiritual Gifting
- Empowered Communication Seasoned with Grace
- Empowered Communication Possible Because of the Resurrection
Thank you for the useful resources and guidance. Look forward to receive updates and to immerse deeply to His teaching.