When asking if your church budget reflects the Great Commission, I am not referring to how much money goes to missions, although that could be a part of it. There’s so much more to the Great Commission than missions. Let’s break down Matthew 28:18-20 and ask ourselves some strategic questions on how it relates to budgeting.
Broad Questions to Ask about Your Church Budget in Light of the Great Commission
1) Is You Budget Impacted by the Authority of Jesus?
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples …”
2) Do You Have a Budget Geared toward Disciplemaking?
“Therefore go and make disciples …”
3) Does Your Budget Promote Ministry by All and to All?
“make disciples of all nations”
4) Does Your Budget Keep the Focus on God?
“baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”
5) Is Your Budget Lined Up with God’s Purposes and Ways?
“and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”
6) Does Your Budget Leave Room for Dependence on the Lord?
“And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Get input on each of the above questions in the Steering the Church Toward Discipleship Leadership Guide along with some sub-questions for each main question.