Organization in the Church should lead to the right kind of effect. For that to happen, we need to begin with the right reason for putting organizational structures in place.
Warning about Organizational Structures in the Church
We must guard against putting so much structure into our processes and activities that getting anything accomplished requires a complex process. That leads to people feeling stifled which turns to frustration which tends to yield minimal progress.
We need a degree of flexibility so we can make quick adjustments as needed. Flexibility, without organization, however, yields chaos and everybody doing what is right in their own eyes which often leads the perception of a church that is floundering, not seeming to really be going anywhere.
The Right Reason for Organization in the Church Leads to the Needed Balance
The Church, as a living organism, does have structure but also a responsiveness (Ephesians 4:11-13). As a living organism, then, we should maintain a sense of stability and constancy while being responsive (Ephesians 4:14).
To find the balance between structure and flexibility, organization in the church can’t be viewed or treated as an end in itself. It must be seen as a vehicle to clarify responsibilities and relationships in order to accomplish a greater good.
Question for Church Leaders: How can you simplify the process without losing the reason for which organization exists?
The Church, as a living organism, has members designed to function in specific ways but it also need a sense of coordination and interdependence (Eph. 4:11-12; 1 Cor. 12:21, 26). Without an effective means of reaching our goals that includes a place for everyone yet also maintains a level of accountability to the whole, we could find neglect of some needs and duplication in other areas, along with confusion and frustration, and hence failure to accomplish our goals.
Develop ministry descriptions that clearly convey responsibilities, parameters, and communication channels, stressing coordination with the whole. Yet, don’t unduly box in individuals’ pursuit of their passions and sense of calling.
Question for Church Leaders: Are you keeping an eye on the particulars as well as the big picture?
All Posts about Organization:
- The Right Reason for Organization
- Organization Following God’s Purposes?
- The Cause and Effect Factor of Organization
- The Need for Fluidity in Organization
- Living Organism Needs Organization
- Organizational Structures Help or Hinder?
- Organization Because of Freedom in Christ?
- Organization Enhancing Ministry Not Entangling It?
- Organizational Skills of Jesus
- Why Organizational Skills When We Have God?
- Spiritually Gifted to Organize
- Praying About How to Organize to Best Accomplish Goals
- Rely on the Spirit, Not Organizational Efforts
- The Gospel, the Organized Eternal Plan of God
- Organizational Efforts with a Life-Giving Effect
- The Effects of Life-Giving Organizational Efforts